Monday, August 1, 2022

My Cat and i

 

My Cat and i
 
Girls are simply the prettiest things 
My cat and i believe
And we’re always saddened
When it’s time for them to leave

We watch them titivating
(that often takes a while)
And though they keep us waiting
My cat & i just smile

We like to see them to the door
Say how sad it couldn’t last
Then my cat and i go back inside
And talk about the past  
by Roger McGough

 

The women being gone, man and cat returned to their companionable silence and their worshipful togetherness. Creatures of habit and ritual, the man was elegant in the blue silk smoking jacket that he wore while imbibing his port and smoking his meerschaum. The brilliantly white Turkish Angora was equally elegant as he savored his nightly caviar. The brothers enjoyed their companionable silence no less than they enjoyed the women’s words and laughter. But no matter how welcome their guests, the women remained guests. 

They were so very charming, though, that man wished he could keep one. Unfortunately, as a kitten, cat had been—to his later objection—neutered at man’s instigation, so anything more than friendship between man and a woman would have seemed unfair. So it was that man stuck to his bachelorhood while mumbling to himself, “A woman is a woman, but a cat is a cat.” When a buddy asked what man meant, man couldn’t bring himself to say that no mere woman could compare to a Turkish Angora.

The women wanted cat and man to visit them sometimes, but cat objected: “Why, oh man, should we go there when we are comfortable here?” When man repeated this to the women, they agreed that, for cat’s sake, the visiting would be one directional. Man felt badly about this, but he and the women realized that while cats are capable of noble deeds there’s not a single mention in recorded history of a cat having inconvenienced himself for the convenience of another.

Man also realized that cats are much like deities and that the first item on every deity’s to-do list is to demand sacrifice. One might think that, having everything, gods wouldn’t make demands, but cat deities do, especially at meal time. A veteran cat-lover, man had schooled himself to be okay with cat’s demands, but he wasn’t okay that cat’s advancing age was making him stiff and causing him to lose his balance. Cat had also observed these changes, but because nothing bad had ever happened to him, he tried to interpret them as a senescent growth spurt. 

For man, seeing cat’s meager jumps, slow runs, and poorly washed posterior was like seeing a runaway 18-wheeler in the rear-view mirror. Man knew that when the flame of cat’s life was extinguished, the flame of his own life would dim. This realization left him gasping for breath because cat was his life. He was thinking about this when he saw cat looking at him with question marks in his eyes. “Pardon me, cat, I must have a touch of indigestion.” When cat said nothing, their companionable silence turned cold and empty.

Death stood so big in man’s thoughts that he sometimes cried in the shower (a facility that cat studiously avoided) in anticipation of cat’s death. He wanted to keep his fear from cat, but this was becoming harder. A few weeks ago, one of the women had asked, “Did you know that ____ died?” It worried man that normally curious cat hadn’t asked what die means. He increasingly saw himself as a parent intent on protecting his child from the knowledge of a coming tragedy. A twelve-year-old cat might be the equivalent of a seventy-year-old human, but no cat has accumulated seventy years of knowledge and experience.

Man felt frantic to break the silence, so he said: “Hey, cat, remember the poem that goes,

We like to see them to the door
Say how sad it couldn’t last
Then my cat and i go back inside
And talk about the past”?


When cat said nothing, man tried again.

“That’s us, Cat, and what a past it has been! I love you, brother.”

14 comments:

  1. This is beautifully written, and I so enjoyed the imagination gone into it, it being fiction, but also quite true in many ways. A superb first cat post and one that clearly shows this man knows his cats and his cats know him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch. This hit home today. Jazz received an almost certain diagnosis of cancer two days ago - we are just waiting for the results of biopsy. My world will be diminished when I have to make that last decision for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my dear, I am so, so sorry, there's nothing harder than losing love, sending much of it your way Xx

      Delete
    2. I am so sad to hear that Jazz is ill. You have posted about him many times--often in regard to his bad behavior--but your love for him was evident. I grew up among people who seemingly gave little thought to the death of a pet, but I know from my reading that the depth of love that you, I, and Ruby End, share goes back hundreds, if not thousands, of years, and therefore our grief for them when they die puts us in a vast community of people who have loved and lost.

      I suppose you have the biopsy result by now, so I hope you will verify how it came out.

      Delete
    3. No biopsy result yet. I will ring the vet when they open in a few hours.

      Delete
    4. Oh, best wishes. I understand this pain.

      Delete
  3. "This is beautifully written..."

    One person emailed that it was so good that she wondered if I really wrote it.

    "A superb first cat post..."

    It's my first fictional post also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your gift in poetic prose. Be well!

      Delete
  4. Our cats are loaned to us only, which is why humans adopt again and again. The pain of loss is soothed by the joy of four-footed, furry love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are not ours, but then nothing is, although many would pretend otherwise.

      Delete
  5. That was really amazing. Welcome to Blogville!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's sad how quickly they pass from our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is so beautiful. It made me cry. I love all my animals but sometimes yo get one that stands out. And that was my beautiful boy sabastian. Hubby bought him for me when my brother died and he was like a soup mate. He grew up with my children and lived to over 15 years. Sadly I had to send him over the rainbow bridge when his kidneys stopped working.
    This reminded me of him so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark (of Mark's Mews) here: First, thank you for commenting on my blog. So, of course I read yours. Second, as you are the speaker on your blog, I will tend to comment the same way (so it is me and not The Mews here - at least this first time).

    It was an interesting and thoughtful post. I enjoyed reading it. If I understand correctly, you are blurring the lines between humans and cats as in "The brothers enjoyed their companionable silence". I am pretty sure you meant you and a male cat there. Nice, and if that is really your first fictional writing, I'm impressed.

    I hope you post and visit more frequently in the future.

    ReplyDelete