Tuesday, August 23, 2022

My Fragile Cat

Brewsky and Ollie 2015
What love looks like, Brewsky and a shell-shocked, Ollie, 2015

Brewsky, Sage, Scully, and Harvey are emotionally healthy. Ollie is not, perhaps because he was abandoned on the side of a highway while still nursing. A shelter volunteer fed him every few hours, day and night, until he was old enough to go to what rescue organizations optimistically call a “forever home.” We only had one cat at the time—a seven year old male tabby named Brewsky—but I had been wanting a second cat for years. When Peggy finally agreed, she said I could choose our new cat, and I chose Ollie.

Ignoring advice to keep Brewsky and Ollie apart for two weeks, we put them together soon after getting him home. Fifteen pound Brewsky’s ears went back, but this didn’t deter tiny Ollie from running flat-out toward him for comfort. After a tense period of utter shock and total bewilderment, Brewsky sniffed Ollie from one end to the other. Satisfied that he posed no danger, Brewsky bathed him. Ollie relaxed completely, but he wanted something more than a bath, so Brewsky “nursed” him. At age seven, Ollie is still nursing.

When Ollie began vomiting several times a week, his vet put him on a prescription-only cat food. He would still barf on occasion, especially if Peggy fed him (more about that later), so we bought a feeder that was designed to slow his eating. We also began feeding him in a separate room so the other cats couldn’t steal his food. Last winter, he started vomiting several times a week no matter who fed him, so I experimented. Instead of giving him three meals a day (like everyone else gets), I fed him six times a day, varying the size of his meals so that he got less food when he was most likely to vomit. I also put him on a fish-based, grain-free diet. He rarely vomits anymore, and when he does vomit, it’s usually after his ten-kibble breakfast, so it doesn’t amount to much.

As for why Ollie is more likely to barf when Peggy feeds him, it’s not because she’s a witch (Peggy is actually so gentle, loving, and soft-spoken, that our cats trust her completely). My theory is that Ollie barfs less when I feed him simply because I’m a man. My reasoning goes as follows… 

We mammals are vulnerable to attack when we eat, sleep, drink, bath, pee, and poop. Our four-footed friends know this. They also know that male humans are—on average— stronger than female humans. This awareness has both upsides and downsides. For example, a timid animal like Ollie is more likely to run from a male stranger (particularly if the stranger has a deep voice) than from a female stranger. Conversely, he looks primarily to me for protection. This, I believe, is why Ollie is better able to keep his food down when I feed him.

Over the decades, I’ve had a great many women tell me that their adopted shelter dogs shrank from my touch because they had been abused by men. When I asked how they knew this, they usually said they based it on the dogs’ behavior. I, too, have had dogs—and cats—who were fearful of male strangers, yet I knew they hadn’t been abused. 

Another outcome of this power imbalance is that men are—for the most part—better able to enforce obedience. For example, Peggy and I had a blue heeler (a small but aggressive breed that herds cattle by biting their heels and quickly ducking) who obeyed me with alacrity but ignored Peggy with impunity. Peggy became so frustrated that she sometimes said, “Make Bonnie obey me!”

Ollie’s dependence—combined with the physical pain I live with—means that I won’t be able to attend the funeral when Peggy’s 92-year-old father dies. It would take up to three planes rides and most of a day to get there, so even if I flew down one day, went to the funeral the next, and flew back the third, Ollie’s life would be endangered. I say this based upon multiple sources like the following:



“It is important to emphasise that…a cat that has had no food for as little as two days can become malnourished and unwell and may even need urgent veterinary care.”* 



I would be duty-bound to give Ollie a good life even if I didn’t love him, but because I do love him, duty is a sacred trust. I wouldn’t put his life at risk to attend the combined funerals of everyone in both our families, and although I hate feeling imprisoned by his fragility, I would hate myself if he died unnecessarily. So, what do I love about Ollie?

His green eyes and adonic physique... The flashes of silver in his dark gray fur that led Peggy to create his private breed name—Somalian Silver Plush... The way he stands in my lap, gazes into my eyes, and presses his nose to mine... His mealtime habit of jumping onto a “cat tree,” assuming a dignified pose, and silently looking me in the eye while the other cats circle noisily at my feet... The way he happily talks to himself while he’s eating. 

Through luck and wisdom, Ollie was able to replace the beloved parent from whose breast he was taken with two parents. He named Brewsky his parent because it was Brewsky who suckled him when he was a kitten—and still suckles him now that he’s seven. He named me his parent because his life had been marred by loss, confusion, and instability, and he believed I would keep him safe. He’s also the only one of our five cats that I chose, and I suppose it’s possible he knows this. I wish I knew.

 

*https://www.whiskas.co.uk/1-plus-years/cat-health/how-long-can-cats-go-without-food

13 comments:

  1. A beautiful loving post that brings tears to my eyes.
    Sadly we had to say goodbye to Jazz over the weekend. Our hearts ache, the tears flow and the house does not feel like a home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ollie has bonded to you, and to Brewsky. It's not like he doesn't 'like' anyone else; you are just his human. Full stop.
    Interesting about the smaller meals, and a good solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats so beautiful. I bet you are right about why he vomits more often if Peggy feeds him. We human females and males also have different voice sound frequencies. Some people, and animals "hear" lower frequencies better than higher ones, or at the least react to them differently. I once read an article about classrooms and how males really should have male teachers because young males do not register higher frequency voice sounds well. I always thought females should have female teachers as well, to prevent the teacher worship/sex encounters that happen when male teachers and young girls are in too close proximity. Anyhow I don't go anywhere either, mostly because I have cats, many of them old and very frail at this point. Brewsky was such a good father/mother figure to Ollie. That's touching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer is a wise inspiration. Best wishes, Snowbrush

      Delete
  4. "A beautiful loving post that brings tears to my eyes."

    You could not have paid me a more meaningful compliment. I don't know why (I think it has something to do with age), but it's taking me ever longer to write a post. I worked on this post for three hours a day for between two and three weeks, yet I made several changes just this morning.

    "Sadly we had to say goodbye to Jazz over the weekend."

    I am deeply sorry. I wanted to know how he was, and I wanted to be supportive of what you're going through, but I also wanted to avoid the appearance of pushiness at a time when you might not feel like talking. Until we get up in years, there are those among us who don't know what it means to lose a fellow human, but we do know what it means to lose a beloved cat or dog. Having lost both humans and nonhumans, I found that the enormity of my grief had nothing to do with species, but upon how much love I felt.

    "It's not like he doesn't 'like' anyone else; you are just his human."

    Exactly! As for my feelings for him, I don't know that I love Ollie more because of his problems, but I certainly don't love him less, and I do find myself drawn to him because of how intensely he feels things. All of my cats were rescues, but Ollie is the only one who was dumped from a car while too young to eat solid food. I wish I understood why people who dump animals don't instead take them to a shelter. Are they embarrassed; are they unwilling to devote the few minutes it would take? Do they have trouble looking at themselves in the mirror afterwards?

    "Interesting about the smaller meals, and a good solution."

    I initially worried that the other cats would hate him for getting fed twice as often--and, for all they knew, twice as much. I even worried that they might become so infuriated that they would attack him, but I can't tell that he's treated any differently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story! I'm glad it all worked out for Ollie. He is likely still an anxious cat and that could account for a sensitive stomach. Wishing you and Ollie better health. I know, too, what it is to live with a disability.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How timely ... a comment from you to help cheer me, a post about cats, {my sister's cat "Callie" is celebrating sixteen years today!} I believe your reasoning about male energy is quite sound when it comes to feeding Ollie. Peggy chose an amazing name .. Somalian Silver Plush.
    I am a fair weather Ducks fan, Eugene actually means you and Peggy and your brood.
    Life goes on in Bend, I turn 81 next month, Son Carl still my housemate, we almost lost him to liver and colon abscesses in 2018. Seven months in and out of the hospital, surgeries, a forty pound weight loss, septic shock. Today he is fine, minus a foot of his colon. I am thankful. He is still working at Safeway ... seventeen years and counting.
    Thank you again for reaching out, my friend's passing was incredibly sad. She was quite a force of nature.
    I know you are in pain, have been for so long ... please take care, my best to both you and Peggy. If I remember correctly ... it's Lowell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Some people, and animals 'hear' lower frequencies better than higher ones, or at the least react to them differently."

    People like myself who have age-related hearing loss, can hear men's voices far better than women's voices because it's the higher ranges of hearing that are the first to go. The fact that women often speak more softly might also have something to do with it.

    "Brewsky was such a good father/mother figure to Ollie."

    He has also parented two of our other cats also (although they never tried to nurse), and he tried to parent our third cat, Harvey--when Harvey was a kitten--but Harvey attacked him. Brewsky was taken aback, but it's to his credit that he didn't murder Harvey as he could have easily done. Harvey has matured into a fine cat, but he's definitely more pugnacious than the others. As I write this, he's asleep beside me as he often is at this time of day.

    "He is likely still an anxious cat and that could account for a sensitive stomach."

    If you continue to comment--which I very much hope you will--I would appreciate it if you would give a first name in your comments (even if it's a made-up name) so I will have the privilege of developing a sense of who you are. As to your thoughts about Ollie having "a sensitive stomach," I have no doubt but what you're right. When I was a teenager, I threw-up or nearly threw-up every morning, but was invariably fine later in the day. I don't know why Ollie is also more likely to puke in the morning, but because he is, I count out precisely ten kibbles for his first meal. An hour or so later, he will politely request the remainder of his breakfast, and he has yet to throw it up. We keep our cats in the laundry room at night, so maybe his morning vomiting has something to do with feeling stressed by being in a relatively small room (it's about 8x8, I would guess) with four other cats. Then again, maybe he feels overstimulated by being let out of the laundry room.

    "my sister's cat 'Callie' is celebrating sixteen years today!"

    I'll just bet that women are more likely than men to know when their cats' birthdays roll around. If I cared about such things, I think Peggy would probably celebrate their birthdays. I must admit that it's fun to visualize them all sitting at the table wearing party hats, blowing noisemakers, and eating tuna cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Peggy chose an amazing name .. Somalian Silver Plush."

    I have no idea how she came up with it. There is a breed of cat called "Somali" (although the breed didn't originate in Somalia), but I doubt that she knew of it because she doesn't scarf down books about cats the way I do.... I just went and asked her--I didn't have to go far because she's working out with weights in the living room. She said she chose Somali because it rhymes with Ollie, and she chose Silver Plush because that's what he is. I had guessed the last part, but I don't know if I ever would have come up with the first part.

    "I am a fair weather Ducks fan"

    You're ahead of me then because I'm not a sports fan. When we moved here (in 1986), and somebody told me that the U of O teams were called "The Ducks," I thought they were joking because all the teams I knew of were named after something fierce--Wolves, Badgers, Lions, devils, tornadoes, etc. When they added that the Oregon State teams were called the Beavers, I again thought they were joking, but they finally convinced me that they weren't.

    "Life goes on in Bend..."

    I had heard rumors to that effect--ha. Peggy and I used to camp in the Deschutes National Forest, and I have happy memories of that whole area, it being so unlike where I grew up in Mississippi. From boyhood, I had so mythologized the desert that when JFK was shot, I just knew that if they raced him to the desert of West Texas, he would be okay. As for why I felt about the desert as I did, I suppose it was from watching Western movies and TV shows. I can't imagine that you don't know of it, but I'll mention the book "The Oregon Desert" just in case. I read it twice and later had the privilege of staying at Rube Long's ranch. He was long dead by then, but when Peggy and I met the new owner at Hole in the Ground (I'll mention that it's a volcanic formation for those who don't know), and he invited us to stay the night, we jumped at the chance. Rube is buried in the Fort Rock Cemetery by the way, but I don't know where the book's co-author ended up

    "my best to both you and Peggy. If I remember correctly ... it's Lowell."

    On my blog I prefer being called Snow or Snowbrush (I named my first blog after the Cascade Mtn shrub) to avoid confusion. I'm delighted to be back in touch with you, something that might not have happened had I not run down a blogpost I wrote about Brewsky back in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by our blog. We guess we will let Mom (Alasandra) talk to you but before we do we wanted to tell Brewsky we think he is a very nice man cat to let Ollie nurse. And that his coloring reminds us of Socks although he is no longer with us. Oh, we suppose it depends on the household but around here Mom is alpha, Daddy is our devoted servant who waits on us hand and foot. But Mom is we are sure part cat and part dog and she enforces the rules.~The Cats & Dogs

    It's very nice to meet someone from Mississippi. I am from Meridian originally so I know where Brookhaven is. We live on the Gulf Coast now North of Ocean Springs. I am sorry to hear that Ollie is so emotionally fragile. As for the vomiting we have a cat that regurgitates her food if she eats to fast. I have blogged about Scylla's problems a few times. All of the cats and dogs are rescues and have their own stories. Chimera is the baby of the family, and everyone seems to spoil her. ~Alasandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. We all send purrs and hugs to Ollie and to you too. Small meals might due the trick, if our Brian eats to much at one time up it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope Ollie continues to do well on the less food and more meals plan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cat has a close bond with you. Cats chose the person or people they love and Ollie knows it's you. Oddly enough one of our cats barfs after eating dried food so we tries her on a meal of raw (you might not get the Jumbo's brand in the US) there are some nice brands you can try to see if this helps.

    I can see Ollie loves you and you him. How lucky you are to have a special cat's love.

    ReplyDelete